Monday, August 30, 2010

Mediterranean Gecko

There is never a dull moment in the Garcia household. We've had friends tell us they wished they could be a fly on the wall in our house b/c we are never short of funny moments. This recent episode is one such case. Within in the last several weeks I have had the worst encounter with baby lizards IN OUR HOUSE! I didn't understand why I was the only one finding these reptiles in the house. I must state that I am terribly fearful or just flat out scared that I will jump on anything and scream when I come face to face with lizards, water roaches, big spiders,etc. Emphasis on Big. Little spiders or roaches are okay but when they are oversized I lose all cool. I am sure I scare these little creatures away with my loud screaming and running around. This is not good when my dear husband comes to the rescue and can't find them anymore and I stand there like a dummy on top of the washer in the laundry room.

As I was the only one finding these babies, I got to thinking if there are baby lizards in the house, then there must be a momma or poppa lizard somewhere around here giving birth or no wait reptiles lay eggs! Ewwww!!! Short of me packing my bags to stay at a hotel or my parents house I started praying that those parent lizards would be found and hoping that it wouldn't be me to find them.

Well folks, my prayer was answered!! Poor Atianna. We quickly found out that she is like her momma when it comes to creepy crawlers. She was coming out of her bedroom into the living room when we heard her scream sheer terror. We couldn't even ask what was wrong b/c she quickly got out of dodge. She ran into the nearest room which was Maciah's in which he was sound asleep and slammed the door shut. I wasn't gonna stick around b/c I knew that she saw something and had a feeling that a lizard was involved. So I ran to my bedroom and hopped on the bed on all fours. Johnny was left by himself totally clueless. Ati wouldn't open the door and I wasn't gonna leave my spot on top of the bed. Ati decided to communicate to us through the baby monitor b/c she refused to open the door. As I am on guard on top of my bed I yell across the house to Ati through a shut door asking her what she saw. She responds via the baby monitor in which the recievers are hooked up in the kitchen and our bedroom not on low volume might I add. Everytime she speaks into the baby monitor her voice is heard like an intercom throughout the whole house. Johnny finally gets a broom and a flashlight and gets to work. I offer to shine the flashlight under the couches from my bedroom of course on top of the bed still. So here is the scene. Ati is in Maciah's room with him asleep yelling into the baby monitor "Did you catch it yet?!?!?" Her yelling is magnified as if she were using a bullhorn in our ears. I'am hanging off my bed upside down trying to shine the flashlight into the living room underneath the couches.Johnny did point out that the creature could climb up the bed if it wanted to so there was no use on seeking shelter on it. Once Johnny got a good look at it he yelled b/c Ati's voice was so loud "I don't know what you guys are so scared about! It's just a Geiko!"

Well, at that point I almost fell off the bed head first from laughter. I might be scared of creepy crawlers but I at least know that Geiko is an Insurance Company with a lizard as a mascot. Or is it a gecko? After this momma or poppa was captured and gotten "rid" of we then got into a great conversation between the differences of lizards,geckos,crocodiles and yes geiko.

Come to find out our little visitors are called Mediterranean Geckos. At least they have a fancy name! I also learned they they prey on insects like spiders and roaches! This fact made me think twice about getting "rid" of our little friends. I should have shown a little hospitality, after all they are fighting the war against spiders and roaches. Johnny thinks I'am a little crazy for googleing geckos but I had to get to the bottom of our little visitors. And learn more about them. In the end if you can't fight them well.....join them. In the fight against other creepy crawlers. From the front or backyard.....obviously.




3 comments:

  1. I have a cat that you are welcome to have. She loves to chase and eat those same lizards :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious. My favorite is Ati communicating through the monitor. I can hear her now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. After I cried viewing The birth of baby boy I laughed so hard reading this story!! Can totally see it happening! Especiall, Ati yelling with her scratchy adorable voice!

    ReplyDelete